The Benchmark Tracking module allows users to see students' progress from the state assessment to the current benchmark, so you know if you're on track with your Accountability goals. Let's explore this feature!
First, go to your left menu and click on Benchmark Tracking.
You'll then see students' estimated growth based on progress they've demonstrated since taking MAAP to the current benchmark, applying MDE's Accountability Standards.
Students' projected performance is tailored for each benchmark assessment, noted in the Benchmark column. The module displays data from the most recent test date. Note that any of the columns may be used for filtering or sorting by clicking on a column heading.
Next to the benchmark column, you'll see four columns under the heading Projected. These columns address whether students have demonstrated growth in their performance from MAAP to the current benchmark:
- Growth? = Did the student demonstrate growth, Y/N.
- Growth Value = Estimated growth points student would receive, 0; 1; 1.25.
- School LPS = Is the student a low performer for the school based on MAAP, Y/N.
- District LPS = Is the student a low performer for the district based on MAAP, Y/N.
The next section of columns, grouped under the heading Benchmark, provides Scale Score, %Correct, and Level from students' benchmark performance.
Note: we estimate performance levels based on known scale-score cut-offs in the event that your benchmark vendor does not populate those data points.
State Assessment Performance
The next section of columns, grouped under the heading State Assessment, provides Scale Score, %Correct, and Level from students' most recent MAAP performance.
The last section of columns, grouped under Target, indicates the lowest scale score that students would need to achieve in order to gain points for demonstrating growth:
- Score (State) = Lowest scale score required on MAAP to demonstrate growth.
- Score (Bench) = Lowest scale score required on Bench to demonstrate growth.
- Level = Performance level required to demonstrate growth.
Let's interpret an example. In the following screenshot, we've emphasized the 3rd row of data. This row reflects a current 5th grader's ELA performance since MAAP 2018 to her NWEA Winter 2019 benchmark.
- We see that this student has not demonstrated Growth, and therefore receives 0 points in the Growth Value column.
- This student is a Low Performer for both her school and district.
- Last year, her MAAP Scale Score was 443, which placed her at a level 2B.
- Her Winter NWEA data indicates a Scale Score of 201, which puts her at level 2B.
- We see in the Target section that this student needs to achieve a MAAP Scale Score of 550, or a NWEA Scale Score of 204, to achieve a performance level of 3A in order to demonstrate growth.
Next, explore in detail an individual student’s data by clicking on any student name to display the Student Card.