What is Searchlight?
Searchlight replaces the artists formerly known as Tag Builder, Bullseye, and Smart Tags. Over the years, we've heard a quite a few Smart Tags requests that were, frankly, outside the scope of what our Bullseye module could handle. So, we rebuilt this feature from the ground up! Here are a few things you can expect with Searchlight:
- Create a list of students who match criteria you choose, now using "and/or" in the same search
- Clone or edit a saved list
- Intuitively select filters to build your list AND easily see the parameters you've included
Let's check it out!
First, click on Searchlight in the left menu. We pre-built some lists for you, to demonstrate how the queries are made. You can use the Clone feature to make a duplicate of one of our lists, or create a New list of your own.
Let's take a quick tour of one of the pre-made lists, like 3+ Infractions. Click the title, and you'll see lots of options emerge. Let's define each:
- Query Builder - where you design, run and save a list
- Students - shows the students who meet your criteria
- Map - displays your list on a map, showing students by home address
- Export CSV - exports your list in spreadsheet form, for further analysis
- Clone - duplicates a saved list, so you can make changes and save a different version
- Delete - to delete a list you've created. NOTE: you can't delete lists you didn't create.
In this example 219 students meet my query criteria of 'enrolled = Yes, aggregate school year = 2018, and aggregate infraction count = 3'.
Cloning and Editing
Let's clone this list, so we can make changes and save another version. Choose the title and click Clone.
The Query Builder screen will appear. Now, let's say we want to add a filter to this query.
- Click Add Filter.
- Now, choose a condition by which to filter, like Aggregate Absence Count. You can scroll the list or start typing 'abs' to see this parameter appear.
- Next select a metric. I've selected is greater than or equal to and typed 5.
Pro-tip: Click Run each time you add a parameter to check your query results. That's how you'll know if you're getting results or not. Now that I've run my filter, my list is now only 137 students.
Continue to add more filters or groups, if you like.
When you're ready to save it, click Save List. The default name of a cloned list will be the old title with "(cloned)" at the end, which will no longer be accurate if you've modified the list. To rename your list, click the pencil icon.
Choose your privacy setting, type in your new name, and click Save.
Note that the privacy setting defaults to 'Everyone' unless you select from the drop-down to change this.
Take a look at the students in your list as you go or after you've saved. Click Students next to Query Builder and Map. Click a student's name or picture to pull up his or her Student Card.
Click Map to display the students where they live. Click a dot to see the student's name; click again to open the Student Card.
NOTE: The number of student "dots" plotted on the map may not match the exact number of students in your query. You can learn more about how GeoVision works here.
Now, export your results for further analysis in Excel or Google Sheets. Keep experimenting to become a Searchlight Pro!