What is Searchlight?
Searchlight allows users the ability to build custom searches using any of the criteria synced in SchoolStatus. Data like attendance, discipline, grades, or assessments can be used to build your custom queries.
Here are a few features you can expect with Searchlight:
- Create a list of students who match criteria you choose, using "and/or" in the same search
- Export that list into a CSV for further analysis
- Plot those students geospatially on a map
- Queries are dynamic, meaning they update based on recent data each time you access them
Let's check it out!
First, click on Searchlight in the left menu. We pre-built some lists for you, to demonstrate how the queries are made. You can use the Clone feature to make a duplicate of one of our lists, or create a New list of your own.
Let's take a quick tour of one of the pre-made lists, like 3+ Infractions. Click the title, and you'll see lots of options emerge. Let's define each:
- Query Builder - where you design, run and save a list
- Students - shows the students who meet your criteria
- Map - displays your list on a map, showing students by home address
- Export CSV - exports your list in spreadsheet form, for further analysis
- Clone - duplicates a saved list, so you can make changes and save a different version
- Delete - to delete a list you've created. NOTE: you can't delete lists you didn't create.
In this example 219 students meet my query criteria of 'enrolled = Yes, aggregate school year = 2018, and aggregate infraction count = 3'.
Cloning and Editing
Let's clone this list, so we can make changes and save another version. Choose the title, select the "Actions" dropdown menu. and click Clone.
The Query Builder screen will appear. Now, let's say we want to add a filter to this query.
- Click Add Filter.
- Now, choose a condition by which to filter, like Aggregate Absence Count. You can scroll the list or start typing 'abs' to see this parameter appear.
- Next, select a metric. I've selected is greater than or equal to and entered 5.
Pro-tip: Click Run each time you add a parameter to check your query results. That's how you'll know if you're getting results or not. Now that I've run my filter, my list is now only 137 students.
Continue to add more filters or groups, if you like.
When you're ready to save it, click Save List. The default name of a cloned list will be the old title with "(cloned)" at the end, which will no longer be accurate if you've modified the list. To rename your list, click the pencil icon.
Choose your privacy setting, type in your new name, and click Save.
Note that the privacy setting defaults to 'Everyone' unless you select from the drop-down to change this.
Take a look at the students on your list as you go or after you've saved. Click Students next to Query Builder and Map. Click a student's name or picture to pull up his or her Student Card.
Click Map to display the students where they live. Click a dot to see the student's name; click again to open the Student Card.
NOTE: The number of student "dots" plotted on the map may not match the exact number of students in your query.
Now, export your results for further analysis in Excel or Google Sheets. Keep experimenting to become a Searchlight Pro!