TGR Domains, Standards and Indicators
Need a printer-friendly version? Click here for our 2-page PDF.
Our Mississippi districts are required to observe classroom teachers using this MDE approved rubric. SchoolStatus provides this rubric in Feedbak, making it easy for observers to create formal and informal observations in the classroom by marking the Star (for "true") or Leaf (for "false") next to each indicator.
Domain I: LessonDesign #LessonDesign
Standard 1: Lessons include student learning outcomes and instructional activities that are aligned to standards and represent coherent sequence of learning. #AlignedSequenced
- #MCCRSAligned Lessons include learning outcomes and instructional activities that are fully aligned to MS College and Career Readiness standards or framework
- #SequenceLearning Lessons include learning outcomes and instructional activities that are part of a coherent and focused sequence of learning with meaningful connections made to previous and future learning.
- #AcrossDisciplines Lessons include learning outcomes and instructional activities that reflect collaboration with other school staff within and across disciplines to enrich learning.
Standard 2: Lessons have high levels of learning for all students. #HighLevelLearning
- #Scaffolding Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain appropriate scaffolding that effectively builds student understanding.
- #EvidenceProgress Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain ample evidence that the teacher knows each student’s level and tracks each student’s progress toward mastery.
- #Differentiation Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain differentiation based on students' abilities and learning styles.
- #StudentCentered Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain student-centered learning whenever appropriate.
- #RelevantConnections Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain relevant connections to prior experiences (in and out of school - e.g., family, community, culture, language, etc.) or learning.
- #ChallengingTasks Lessons provide assignments and activities that contain opportunities for students to choose challenging tasks and instructional materials.
Domain II: Student Understanding #StudentUnderstanding
Standard 3: Teacher assists students in taking responsibility for learning and monitors student learning. #ResponsibilityMonitoring
- #GoalsContent Teacher communicates lesson goals and the content in a way that is accessible for every student at his/her level.
- #FormativeAssessment Teacher uses formative assessment to effectively monitor progress.
- #StudentSelfAssess Teacher provides ample and effective opportunities for students to self-assess and correct their own errors.
- #StudentFeedback Teacher provides students with clear, specific, actionable and timely feedback.
- #ApplyFeedback Teacher creates opportunities for students to apply teacher and peer feedback to improve performance and accelerate learning.
- #ConnectLearning Teacher provides opportunities for students to demonstrate connections between what they are learning and how it advances their personal and professional goals/interests.
Standard 4: Teacher provides multiple ways to make meaning of content. #MultipleWaysContent
- #VarietyRepresentations Teacher moves all students to deeper understanding of content through various techniques, including a variety of explanations and multiple representations of concepts.
- #ProductiveDiscussion Teacher moves all students to deeper understanding of content through various techniques, including extended productive discussion.
- #EffectiveQuestioning Teacher moves all students to deeper understanding of content through various techniques, including effective questioning to support learning goals
- #ConnectionsDisciplines Teacher moves all students to deeper understanding of content through various techniques, including making connections to other content across disciplines.
- #RealWorldApplication #RealWorldApplication Teacher moves all students to deeper understanding of content through various techniques, including independently connecting lesson content to real-world application.
Domain III: Culture and Learning Environment #LearningEnvironment
Standard 5: Teacher manages a learning-focused classroom community. #LearningFocused
- #RoutinesExpectations Teacher creates effective routines and expectations for students to safely voice opinions and ask and answer questions.
- #MonitorsRedirects Teacher proactively monitors student behavior and redirects when necessary to maximize instructional time.
- #CollaborativeLearning Teacher provides effective collaborative learning opportunities whenever appropriate.
- #StudentOwnership Teacher ensures students take ownership of their work and are active participants in their learning.
- #AcademicLeadership Teacher provides opportunities for students to take on academic leadership roles that promote learning.
Standard 6: Teacher manages classroom space, time, resources (including technology when appropriate) effectively for student learning. #ManagesResources
- #SpaceResources Teacher effectively maximizes use of physical space and resources (including technology whenever appropriate) in support of student learning.
- #MaximizesTime Teacher maximizes time such that students always have something meaningful to do.
- #TransitionsDirections Teacher creates an environment where students execute transitions, routines, and procedures in an orderly and efficient manner with minimal direction or narration from the teacher.
- #ShareResponsibility Teacher provides opportunities for students to share responsibility for leading classroom routines and/or procedures.
Standard 7: Teacher creates and maintains a classroom of respect for all students #RespectStudents
- #CommunicatesRespectfully Teacher communicates respectfully to all students.
- #RespectfulRelationships Teacher effectively fosters respectful relationships among all students.
- #PositiveRelationship Teacher demonstrates a strong positive relationship with all students.
- #PraisePeers Teacher fosters a classroom culture where students give unsolicited praise or encouragement to their peers.
Domain IV: Professional Responsibilities #ProfessionalResponsibilities
Standard 8: Teacher engages in professional learning #ProfessionalLearning
- #SeeksOutLearning Teacher proactively seeks out and participates in professional learning activities.
- #IntegratesLearning Teacher fully integrates knowledge gained in professional learning communities, collaboration with peers and leadership, and focused professional development.
- #StrengthensPractice Teacher strengthens teaching practice based on observer feedback and other types of performance data.
- #SharesInformation Teacher shares new information and lessons learned with colleagues.
- #CriticalFriend Teacher serves as a critical friend for colleagues, both providing and seeking meaningful feedback on instruction.
Standard 9: Teacher establishes and maintains effective communication with families/guardians #FamilyCommunication
- #FamilyPartners Teacher partners with families/guardians to coordinate learning between home and school.
- #MutualExpectations Teacher establishes mutual expectations for student learning with families/guardians.
- #IncludesInPlanning Teacher includes students and/or families/guardians in the planning of positive reinforcements for progress.